July 8, 2011

Miles Hunter Bryce finally here!

Today has been the most unbelievable day. I guess I should start at the beginning and say that this might not be everyone's cup of tea, so if you don't want to read about labor or delivery or birth, just skip this blog.

We had originally wanted Miles to be born on the 4th of July... how cool would that be?? BUT after him not coming, we thought that him being born on Friday would be best... then we could have family visit and the timing would be perfect. WELL... I had an appointment on Thursday to see if I was even close to going into labor, but alas, I was only a fingertip dilated and 0% effaced with Miles being in a +3 spot. That really means that unless something really changed, Miles was not going to grace us with his presence. So, she swept my membranes and told me that I would feel crampy and bleed a little all night (totally normal) so not to worry.. also if I wanted Miles to move down, I could sit in a chair and roll my hips side to side to encourage him to drop. Well, I spent the remainder of the day rolling on my exercise ball hoping that I wouldn't have to be induced.

Carl and I went to bed at 10 and at exactly 12 am, I got out of bed to go to the bathroom (if you ever have been pregnant or knows someone who is, you will realize how ordinary this really is... I would get up 2-3 times a night to use the bathroom) right after I stood up, a BIG gush of water pooled out. Now...  the super funny thing is I was talking to a nurse about how most people don't get the big gush of water to tell them they are in labor, like in all the movies... most people just get contractions and know.WELL.... Miles must have been listening and wanted to prove his momma wrong. I didn't have any idea I was in labor all night and even told my mom I didn't think he wasn't coming anytime soon.

SOOO.. Miles listened to his mom and dad and aunts and came when it was EXACTLY Friday. LOL

When we got to the hospital, I was checked at 12:45 and was already at 4 cm and 90% effaced... it was THAT  fast. I got checked again around 4 and was at a 6-7. I labored in a bathtub for awhile and it helped but after about 6 hours, I was tapped out. I started talking to Carl about getting an epidural and he asked me to just keep trying... try for another 45 min and I could get re-checked and THEN we would look at an epidural. I agreed and after those 45 min with no changes I begged for an epidural. Literally begged. The doola said that it would take an hour for the guy to get here and I said I didn't care... well, lets just say that it takes much longer than an hour, lol (I never ended up receiving an epidural or ANY pain meds)

To make a VERY long, VERY painful, and amazing story a bit shorter, I ended up in labor for 13 hours... and pushed for 3 of those 13. Miles had his head sideways and was just not turning around (a few of the hospital staff commented that I was a great pusher and had Miles been facing the correct way, I could have had him out in 20 minutes instead of those 3 hours).

Miles was born July 8th, 2011 at 1:24 pm (I looked at the clock and asked Bailey is it 1 am or pm... I really didn't know how long I labored). He is 8 pounds 4 ounces and 19.5 inches long... he has my lips and Carl's feet (although I think his toes are mine as well). He is perfect and so unbelievably cute. He is really calm (although this could be due to the 13 hours of labor... it also wears out little boys!) and likes to sleep with his hands by his face.

Just so I don't forget, Miles was delivered by Gail Rothfork, CNM and there was nurse Alison and our doola Nancy.

I will be trying to upload pictures, but it has been tricky since we forgot our camera cord that connects the camera to the laptop and our phones don't get good reception. Anyway... I have been up since midnight working so hard so I will be spending the remainder of tonight admiring my 9 months of baking and 13 hours of the hardest work I have ever done... and sleeping (I hope)

1 comment:

  1. Ah! Congrats and thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see pictures. Hope you are both recovering well.