January 28, 2014

Echogenic ultrasound

This ultrasound was so different. It reminded me a lot of the ultrasounds I recieved with Miles.

We invited 2 sets of our parents and had a packed room! The policy was that everyone could come back at the start and that even Miles was welcome to hang out while we did the whole scan. 

Seems like it is my lot in life to have every appt be around 45 minutes to an hour late, and this ultrasound was no different. My appointment was at 3:30 and we didn't see the tech until about 4:20. At least this time we waited in an exam room with the whole family, so we got to hang out and chat while we waited. 

Carl and I had decided that we didn't want to know the sex of the baby and our parents were joking that they wanted to know and there were 4 of them, so we were out numbered. We needed to find out and they told the tech that, jokingly, when she asked. 

We got set up and as soon as the probe touched my belly, we saw the baby was sitting with the legs by his/her ears. Effectively my baby was mooning us and telling us that it didn't matter if we wanted to know the sex or not, he/she was going to show us. Carl and I had gone back and forth all weekend about finding out and had decided that if the baby wanted us to know or if the tech slipped and we saw, then it must just be God's will. So, after a quick glimpse, the whole room knew and the tech asked if we wanted her to double check. We said sure (because how could she even finish the scan of the baby and the heart when his/her little bum was on top of everything). 

After all of that, the tech quickly found that we are having another boy! 

It was so fun to have 2 sets of grandparents in the room with us when my baby decided to let us know that, although Miles has been calling my belly baby sister, we now had to make sure he started calling it baby brother. Carl and I are excited. Seems like it would have been nice to have a boy and a girl, but I love knowing that Miles is going to have a friend for life. He will forever have a little brother who he can grow and share all of life with. 

Also, as my mom pointed out, my mom's side of the family doesn't have many boys. Boys are precious and I am the only one so far to have 2 of them. That makes me lucky and that makes this little boy so loved already. 

Our little boy is doing so well and is growing great. His echogenic focus should go away on its own and his heart is pumping blood great. We really have nothing to worry about and are just so glad that he is healthy. 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! 2 Boys! How fun!!!! SO so very excited for you guys! Also that is seriously hilarious that he was not shy about showing off his gender. Such a funny story!

    ReplyDelete