March 24, 2011

Cooking adventures

For the last few nights I have not really felt inspired to cook. Poor Carl has had to do it all.... I just haven't wanted to make anything and nothing sounded good. BUUUUTTTT..... I finally decided to just make something and found myself (with a bunch of Carl's help) making a fab dinner that was really yummy!

First, I decided that we should do a cold spinach salad since we had the leaves in the fridge. I also wanted a meat (and we just happened to have thawed out chicken from the night before) and didn't want to eat any carbs because I wanted to make a dessert. So, this is what I came up with (with Carl helping A LOT!):


Spinach salad with cranberries and toasted almonds with sun dried tomato vinegrette. Carl was the one to think of the toasted almonds (and it was the best part of the salad!)


Parm chicken..... Chicken that we "breaded" with crackers (we didn't have any breadcrumbs) and 2 kinds of parm cheese. We grilled it on our george forman grill with no oil at all.... it tasted super good!


This was dessert. Apple turnovers. YUM! I made them by cooking our apples we bought at cost co (That were really close to going bad) with some cinnamon, 2 TBSP of butter, 1/3 cup sugar, and a bit of water and cornstarch. Then you take that filling and scoop it into thawed out phyllo dough. Bake on 375 for about 10 min, cover with powdered sugar, and it is all done! Not fried and hardly any butter in it at all- super easy and not too bad for you (just be careful not to eat too many at one time).

It was such a great dinner! We even made extra dessert and froze it... then I can just thaw it out, bake, and get apple turnovers whenever I want! It was so easy and super yummy!


On another note, about a week ago I made these:




They are cinnamon roll things that are like the monkey bread
(which I haven't ever tried due to the amount of trans fat it has in it). I found the recipe in a 'family fun' mag that i get. They are really good and taste super indulgent!
.

That's all the cooking I have been up to.... now if only I knew what to make for dinner tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment